22.04.2011

*trip to the past*

every day is special but sometimes a day is much more special....why, you may ask now? first of all I will take you with me on a trip in the *past*....
we will take the *vintage* plane today, please fasten your seatbelt -in case you will find one in this plane ;-) ...ready for take off?
soon we will arrive somewhere in the middle east....in the lands with lots of history, endless sky, desert, ancient cultures and inbetween....
there had been a man who travelled, worked there and watched the world in the 50s of the past century and took many pictures....
 
the man I am talking about was my beloved grandfather.....come with me and see the world through the lens with his eyes :-)
see the *sunlight* dancing on a beach.....a *magic* moment and picture.... :-)
gardens with palm trees and cactus plants passed by....did he felt the same like me when I am watching gardens  in the desert?
he watched the *blue*blue* nile......
street construction place.....
in front of the *pyramides*....
did you see the handmade palm leave baskets in the picture?
I remember that he showed me one day this picture and told me that this man had been a very good friend to him, he came from Sudan....
he passed by ancient villages....
and found the camel under a rock arch somewhere in the desert....
the *smiling* camel & I am still smiling about all the camel pictures he took, may he liked the camels may as I like them, too?
I especially love this picture, after watching it several times I saw that the woman is wearing henna painting on her hand :-)
may he enjoyed the wide and open landscape of the desert countries like me?
this blog post is especially dedicated to my beloved grandmother, a very strong, clever and smart woman, I love her smile in this picture so much!
my grandfather passed away two years ago, on 22nd of april....it was his birthday......may he is since two years accompanied all the time with the ones in the picture above?

I realized within the past year much more before that I am may in many ways very similar to him.....the connection between him and me are the desert countries....he also spoke arabic and my mother told me that he had been also very creative...in his way....his personality was sometimes not easy to understand....well....I am also sometimes not easy to understand.....it seems that he had no fear to travel and no fear at all....like me...

I think he was some kind of free *spirit* in his way.....sometimes people wasn´t able to understand him many times because of decisions he made and the way he lived and worked....but I am his granddaughter and I still love him!

Whenever I am travelling, especially to the desert countries I always feel that he is close to me, I am still walking in his footsteps but in a different way.....I am sure that he is smiling many times about my adventures.. :-)

written with all my *love* for my entire family, all of his friends and people who knew him; in memoriam of my beloved grandfather (1925-2009)

a special thanks to my grandmother who gave me 3 of his picture albums! Danke, Oma! :-)

images: taken by my grandfather, co-workers or/and friends in Syria, Egypt and Iraq & other countries he had been.

1 Kommentar:

  1. in den 50er war es bestimmt noch viel abenteuerlicher wie heute zu reisen und in der Ferne zu arbeiten, hast wirklich einen mutigen Großvater gehabt...und eine tolerante Großmama! Und er würde sich bestimmt freuen, dass er diese Abenteuer- und Reiselust an dich vererbt hat:)!
    ein richtiger Schatz diese Bilder...danke fürs Zeigen!
    hab noch schöne Ostertage und viele liebe Grüße
    Susanne

    AntwortenLöschen